Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is a drug that belongs to the group of antiepileptic drugs (AED) with the main active substance – Lamotrigine. Lamotrigine is used for the nervous system normalization, cures seizures of epilepsy, convulsions and manifestations of the convulsive syndrome.
Pharmaceutical Form and Components
Lamictal is released in the form of tablets of a round form of white color or in the form of soluble (chewable) tablets. The tablets have a biconvex structure, some medicines may have an engraved inscription – L25. Lamictal tablets contain 10 pieces in a blister. Each cardboard is comprised of usually 3 blisters.
Components of Lamictal (Lamotrigine) and its analogues:
- lamotrigine in dosages of 25, 50 and 100 mg;
- anhydrous colloidal silicon dioxide;
- magnesium stearate;
- sodium carboxymethyl starch (type A);
- lactose monohydrate;
- microcrystalline cellulose.
|Drug Components||Quantity (mg/pill)|
|Dosage 25 mg||Dosage 50 mg||Dosage 100 mg|
|sodium carboxymethyl starch||2,5||5,0||10,0|
|anhydrous colloidal silicon dioxide||0,2||0,4||0,8|
Indications for Use
Lamictal (Lamotrigine) is used to treat the following disorders in adults and children from the age of 12:
- epilepsy treatment in various forms;
- seizures with generalized and partial character;
- tonic, clonic and tonic-clonic seizures;
- seizures during the Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.
The medication is used both during monotherapy and in combination with other medications.
Patients aged 3-12 years are recommended to use Lamictal (Lamotrigine) under the following conditions:
- various manifestations of the epileptic syndrome;
- during attacks with generalized and partial type;
- when there are tonic-clonic seizures;
- during developing seizures with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome;
- with not severe seizures and absence epilepsy.
With the above symptoms, Lamictal together with other drugs containing Lamotrigine is used as part of combined treatment. In the future it will be possible to switch to therapy using the only Lamictal but only if there is the patient’s condition’s improvement.
Also for children from 3 to 12 years, these drugs are used for typical absences in monotherapy. For treatment of patients over 18 years of age, Lamictal applies also effectively:
- mood disorders;
- depressive states;
- during the onset of mania and hypomania;
- with mixed episodes;
- bipolar affective disorder.