Common side effects of Topamax (Topiramate):
- dizziness, drowsiness, tiredness;
- nervousness, anxiety;
- tingling of the hands and feet;
Topamax permanent side effects:
- weight loss;
- bradyphrenia, impaired coordination, nystagmus, memory impairment, attention deficit disorder, tremor, amnesia, abnormal gait, imbalance, lethargy,
- hypoesthesia, taste distortion, dysarthria, intentional tremor, cognitive disorders, psychiatric impairment, psychomotor disorders, convulsions, sedation act;
- pronounced speech disorders, confusion, insomnia, aggressive reactions, agitation, mood swings, disorientation, emotional lability, depressed mood, anger, behavior change;
- vomiting, pain in the upper abdomen, constipation, discomfort in the stomach, dyspepsia, abdominal pain, dry mouth, impaired sensation in the mouth, gastritis;
- myalgia, muscle spasms, muscle cramps, muscle weakness, muscular pains in the thorax, arthralgia;
- asthenia, hyperthermia, anxiety, irritability, poor health, discomfort, weight gain;
- Topamax side effects vision: diplopia, blurred vision, blurred vision;
- pain in the ears, ringing in the ears, vertigo;
- shortness of breath, nosebleeds, nasal congestion, rhinorrhea;
- rash, alopecia, itching;
- nephrolithiasis, dysuria, pollakiuria.
Rare Topiramate side effects:
- leukopenia, lymphadenopathy, thrombocytopenia, eosinophilia;
- loss of taste sensitivity, aphasia, burning sensation, cerebellar syndrome, clumsiness, postural dizziness, increased salivation, hypersomnia, sensitivity disorder, dyskinesia, dyskinesia, dysphasia, goosebumps, loss of sensitivity, hypogeusia, hypokinesia, peripheral neuropathy, parosmia, , repetitive speech, impaired touch, stupor, fainting, dystonia, psychomotor hyperactivity;
- erectile dysfunction, sexual dysfunction, apathy, cries, dysphemia, increased distraction, early waking up in the morning, flat affect, thinking disorder, lethargy, upbeat and euphoric mood, auditory and visual hallucinations, speech impairment, decreased libido, panic state, paranoid states , perseveration, violation of reading skills, restlessness, sleep disorders, lability, suicidal ideation or attempts, hallucinations, mental disorders, tearfulness, confusion, generalized convulsions, learning disabilities;
- bradycardia, sinus bradycardia, palpitations, flushing, hypotension, orthostatic hypotension, Raynaud’s syndrome;
- hypokalemia, increased appetite, metabolic acidosis, polydipsia, cold extremities, increased body temperature, a feeling of intoxication;
- blepharospasm, increased lacrimation, mydriasis, photopsy, presbyopia, scotoma, decreased visual acuity, myopia, abnormal sensations in the eye, dry eyes, photophobia;
- deafness, neurosensory deafness, one-sided deafness, discomfort in the ears, hearing impairment;
- shortness of breath with physical activity, hypersecretion in the paranasal sinuses, dysphonia;
- an absence of sweating, face hypoesthesia, generalized itching, skin discoloration, allergic dermatitis, skin redness, skin pigmentation disorder, face swelling, urticaria, influenza-like diseases, sluggishness;
- pancreatitis, flatulence, gastroesophageal reflux, abdominal pain, hypoesthesia of the oral cavity, bleeding gums, bloating, discomfort in the epigastric region, abdominal pain, glossodynia, oral pain, hypersecretion of the salivary glands, bad breath, thirst;
- swelling of the joints, discomfort in the limbs, pain in the side, fatigue, weakness, stiffness of the muscles;
- urolithiasis, hematuria, urinary incontinence, frequent urge to urinate, renal colic, kidney pain;
detection of crystals in the urine, a decrease in the number of leukocytes in the blood, an increase in hepatic enzymes.
- hyperchloremic acidosis;
- mania, panic disorder, feelings of despair, hypomania;
- apraxia, disturbance of the circadian rhythm of sleep, hyperesthesia, hyposmia, anosmia, idiopathic tremor, akinesia, no response to stimuli;
- one-sided blindness, transient blindness, glaucoma, disruption of accommodation, change in depth of visual perception, ciliary scotoma, eyelid edema, night blindness, amblyopia;
- hepatitis, hepatic insufficiency;
- edema of the eyelids;
- polymorphic erythema, periglacial edema, Stephen-Johnson syndrome, unpleasant skin odor, localized urticaria;
- discomfort in the limbs;
- stones in the ureters, renal tubular acidosis;
- reduction of bicarbonate in the blood.
Very rare side effects of Topamax (Topiramate):
- allergic edema, conjunctival edema;
- сlosed-angle glaucoma, maculopathy, violation of eye movements;
- toxic epidermal necrolysis.
Side effects of Topamax 100 mg in special groups of people:
- Topiramate 100mg side effects that were observed in children twice more often than in adults: decreased appetite, increased appetite, hyperchloremic acidosis, hypokalemia, behavioral disorders, aggressive reactions, apathy, falling asleep, suicidal ideation, impaired concentration, inhibition, disturbance of the circadian rhythm of sleep, poor sleep quality, increased lacrimation, sinus bradycardia, poor health, gait disturbance.
- Topiramate possible side effects that were observed only in children during controlled clinical trials: eosinophilia, psychomotor hyperactivity, vertigo, vomiting, hyperthermia, pyrexia, impaired ability to learn.
Topamax 200 mg side effects are usually intensified and can cause serious consequences. For this reason, a high Topamax dosage should be used only in severe cases.