Gabapentin comes in tablest with active substance content – 300 mg. Another name for Gabapentin is Neurontin. There are some other Gabapentin generics produced in different countries worldwide.
Gabapentin Generics Names
|Analogs of Frequent Occurance|
|Name||Pharm. Form||Quantity||Country, drug-manufacturer|
|Gabagamma||capsules – 300mg||20 и 50||Germany, Artisan for Vervang|
|Neurontin – brand||capsules – 300mg||50 и 100||Genrmany, Goedecke|
|Gabagamma||capsules – 400mg||20 и 50||Germany, Artisan for Vervang|
|Convalis||capsules – 300mg||30 и 50||Russian Federation, Lekko|
|Tebantin||capsules – 300mg||50 и 100||Hungary, Gedeon Richter|
|Analogs of Rare Occurance|
|Neurontin) – brand||tablets – 600mg||50 и 100||Genrmany, Goedecke|
|Gabapentin||capsules – 300mg||45 и 50||Russian Federation|
|Katena||capsules – 300mg||50||Croatia, Belupo|
|Katena||capsules – 400mg||50||Croatia, Belupo|
Indications for use
- monotherapy of focal convulsions in epilepsy in adults and children from the age of 12;
- additional treatment of focal seizures in epilepsy in adults;
- additional treatment of resistant epilepsy in children from 3 years;
- Neurontin (Gabapentin) in neuropathic pain treatment (post-herpetic neuralgia, diabetic, trigeminal, HIV, alcoholic, stenosis of the spinal canal);
- decrease in intensity of hot flashes with menopause.
Gabapentin is taken orally, regardless of food intake. If it is necessary to reduce nerve pill Gabapentin dose, cancel the drug or replace it with an alternative medication, it should be done gradually during at least one week.
With neuropathic pain, adults are prescribed an initial dose of 900 mg per day in 3 divided doses; if necessary, depending on the effect, the dose is gradually increased to a maximum of 3.6 g per day. Treatment can begin immediately with Gabapentin dosage of 900 mg per day (300 mg 3 times a day) or within the first 3 days the dose can be increased gradually to 900 mg per day according to the following scheme:
- 1 day – 300 mg of the drug once a day;
- 2 day – 300 mg twice a day;
- 3 day – 300 mg 3 times a day.
With partial seizures in adults and children over the age of 12 years, the effective dose is from 900 mg to 3.6 g per day. Therapy can begin with a dose of 300 mg 3 times a day on the first day and dosage can be increased gradually to 900 mg according to the scheme described above.
Subsequently, the dose can be increased to a maximum of 3.6 g per day (divided into 3 equal doses). A good tolerability of the drug in doses up to 4.8 g per day was noted. The maximum interval between doses with a three-time intake of the drug should not exceed 12 hours in order to avoid the seizures exacerbation.
For children aged 3-12 years:
- the initial dose of the drug varies from 10 to 15 mg/ kg/day, the frequency of reception – 3 times a day in equal doses, the increase to the effective dose is carried out for approximately 3 days.
- the effective dose of Gabapentin in children aged 5 years and older is 25-35 mg/kg/day in equal doses in 3 divided doses.
- the effective Gabapentin dosage even generic in children aged 3 to 5 years is 40 mg/ kg/day in 3 divided equal doses.
A good tolerability of the drug in doses up to 50 mg/ kg/day for long-term use was noted. The maximum interval between taking doses of the drug should not exceed 12 hours in order to avoid the seizures exacerbation.
There is no need to monitor the concentration of Gabapentin substance in plasma. Neurontin can be used in combination with other anticonvulsants without taking into account changes in plasma concentration or concentrations of other anticonvulsants in the serum.
With a single admission of a dose of 49 g, the following Gabapentin overdose symptoms were observed:
- double vision;
- speech impairment;
- mild diarrhea.
In experimental studies, the lethal dosage of Gabapentin was not established in mice and rats treated with doses up to 8,000 mg/kg. Signs of acute toxicity in animals included:
- shortness of breath;
- hypoactivity or hyperactivity.
Treatment: symptomatic therapy. Patients with severe renal insufficiency can be prescribed hemodialysis.
Reviews about Gabapentin
In general, reviews about Gabapentin pills are associated with the addiction development and withdrawal syndrome – the patients suffer from dull consciousness, bad mood, lethargy. Many people note the appearance of depression and suicidal thoughts. The drug often causes acute pancreatitis.
All this once again shows that the treatment should be carried out only under the doctor’s supervision who will correct the treatment. When the drug is withdrawn, antidepressants are often prescribed to reduce manifestations of withdrawal syndrome.